A better use of local resources for accessible, sustainable and good quality medicines
Antenna’s Medecines Unit is working on the development of a “Green pharmacy“. This term has been proposed for several decades to refer to therapeutic plants re-examined by health professionals. We apply it here to any locally available and sustainable care validated by scientific and clinical research. The goal is to treat the most common health problems with economical, local and whenever possible natural products, accessible even to the most deprived populations, as the Haitian expression puts it: “treasure under our feet”.
The green pharmacy is being constituted in three phases:
- Selection: finding best candidates
- Research and development: improve the selected treatments and assess their safety and effectiveness for validation
- Dissemination of validated treatments
ELEMENTS OF THE GREEN PHARMACY CURRENTLY IN THE SELECTION PHASE:
- treatment of acute respiratory diseases and Covid (RTO-Covid)
- treatment of sickle cell disease, anemia
ELEMENTS OF THE GREEN PHARMACY IN RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT PHASE:
- treatments for diabetes
- treatments for children:
- malnutrition (severe stage – sublingual sugar)
- parasites (i.e. head lice)
ELEMENTS OF THIS GREEN PHARMACY IN DISSEMINATION PHASE:
Treatment of hypertension, malaria, mental disorders and other common ailments, all validated by scientific and clinical studies.
Validated treatments are disseminated in various ways:
- integrated into national or international treatment regimens (Argemone mexicana and sublingual sugar in malaria),
- commercially distributed (Hibiscus in pharmacies)
- taught to health professionals (Crisis Dialogue),
- presented in digital form (Natural-self-care, Control diabetes with Antenna) for a reasonable self-medication.
For more details see the page Dissemination of solutions